towards a circular economy
recycling of packaging
Producers and importers of packaged goods in the Netherlands are obliged to achieve national recycling targets for packaging (which are more ambitious than EU targets). Afvalfonds Verpakkingen (‘Packaging Waste Fund’) is a foundation owned and governed by the obliged industry. Afvalfonds Verpakkingen ensures collective implementation of the packaging industry’s responsibilities for the collection and recycling of packaging. For that purpose, Afvalfonds Verpakkingen receives a financial contribution from producers and importers of packed goods in relation to such packaging. Several tasks are designated to the following organisations, which are financed by Afvalfonds Verpakkingen:
- Nederland Schoon vcampaigns against littering, conducts research, advises companies and sets up inspirational initiatives.
- Nedvang advises and supports local authorities and waste companies regarding (registration of) the collection and recycling of packaging materials and monitors the quality of the data that it receives from its contractual parties.
- VPKT arranges for the sorting and recycling of (plastic) packaging by contracting organisations and companies that separate plastics from municipal solid waste, transport and store plastics, sort the plastics into different polymers and qualities, and companies that recycle the plastics.
- Het Kennisinstituut Duurzaam Verpakken (KIDV) advises and motivates companies in respect of developing sustainable packaging in combination with the product. KIDV provides its technical know-how, latest developments and practical tools to the operators.
Improvements in the plastics chain
VPKT wants to boost quality development so that the plastics chain becomes a full part of the circular economy .All the steps that lead to recycling of plastics can and must be improved, so that the quality of the recycled plastic matches that of the required raw material. This improved quality leads to a higher value of the material and hence a larger share of cost coverage of the entire value chain by extended producer responsibility. The more plastics that are recycled within this principle, the more VPKT can contribute to the circular economy.
Further reduction of contamination
Innovation and harmonisation of collection methods
Better output quality, continuation of the controls on sorted bales
Innovative sorting technology
Improve process and output quality to match market requirements
Improving recyclability within the functionality of packaging and product
Increase use of recycled materials
central management of the recycling chain
Het beter op elkaar afstemmen van vraag en aanbod vraagt om een centrale aanpak. Daarom werken VNG, Afvalfonds Verpakkingen namens verpakkend bedrijfsleven en het ministerie van I&W samen aan een alternatieve systematiek voor de regie over de recyclingketen van brongescheiden kunststof verpakkingsafval afkomstig van huishoudens. Recycling staat hierbij centraal. Dat past ook bij een goede uitvoering van de producentenverantwoordelijkheid die wettelijk op het Afvalfonds Verpakkingen rust. Deze verantwoordelijkheid stopt niet bij het behalen van de wettelijke recyclingdoelstellingen.
- Municipalities collect packaging waste (plastics, metals beverage cartons), for which they receive a remuneration from Afvalfonds Verpakkingen (on delivery to a transhipment location). This remuneration is based on the quantity of the (plastic) packaging waste that is accepted by the transhipment companies. The transhipment company accepts the (plastic) packaging waste only when the quality is sufficient.
- A municipality retains the right to determine how it collects the packaging waste. and it receives a collection fee based upon the quantity of plastic packaging waste accepted.
- Afvalfonds Verpakkingen is responsible for further transport, sorting and sale.
- Afvalfonds Verpakkingen intends to implement the post collection process such that the sorting and recycling of packaging waste will be further expanded and intensified.
- VPKT is the organisation that – on behalf of Afvalfonds Verpakkingen – takes care of practical implementation, for example the contracting of partners in sorting and recycling.
More information about the intended governance structure for collection and sorting of plastic packaging can be found here.